From: Heaton, Joseph@DFG [mailto:jhea...@dfg.ca.gov]
Sent: 05 July 2012 16:25
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Shared mailboxes

Here's the odd thing about this whole process.  I had thought that these shared
mailboxes would be the solution to our issue, but turns out they won't be.

Background:

I work for the state of California.  We're currently in the middle of a major
migration from Novell/Groupwise, to ActiveDirectory/Exchange.  This Exchange
environment is in-house at the moment, but will only be so for a short period,
before we're forced to migrate to the online solution the state has worked out
with Microsoft.  It was BPOS at one point, I'm not sure if it still is, or if
it's going to whatever the latest name for it is.  While the system is
in-house, the shared mailboxes would do exactly what we want them to; provide a
central mailbox, that multiple users would have access to.  Unfortunately, with
the online service, any mailbox that collects mail will incur a cost.  I'm a
little upset about it, but after thinking about it for a minute, it does make
sense, as they have to store those mails somewhere, so storage costs are
incurred.  At least that's what I'm assuming, and not for the mailbox itself.
So, we're going to end up creating Distribution Groups for this type of e-mail,
and instead of having 1 central copy, there will be a copy for everyone.  It's
a Wonderful Life :)

Joe Heaton
ITB - Windows Server Support