From: David Lloyd [mailto:da...@future-support.com]
Sent: 05 August 2012 14:03
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Both disks fail RAID1

Hi guys,

Well, I had the Dell engineer in and confirmed that both disks had indeed

failed. Both have been replaced along with a new controller.

However, I'm having some real problems restoring the server back into

the organisation. To cut a long story short, my restore procedures from

tape have not worked and have had to re-build the server with the same

name and have attempted to re-install exchange with the /disasterrecovery

switch. However, when I select the Component selection (messaging and

collaboration Services) it gives the error

The component "Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaberation Services"
cannot be assigned the action

"Install" because: - A server object for this server ("server_name") already
exists in the Administrative Group

"Administrative_Group_name". You must either remove this server object
before installing, or run setup with

the "DisasterRecovery" switch if you are attempting to recover this server.

After searching around I found the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298068

Now I do have another exchange server in the same administrative group,
however all the mailboxes

and public folders are on the failed server, as at some stage in the past
all mailboxes where moved

across from it. Looking at the article I presume I have to remove the failed
server from the group using

the AD sites and services snap in. However, I have some concerns taking this
action as it states that

it brings my AD to a pre-forestprep state and I have to then run the install
without the DR switch.

I'm wondering what exactly will be the consequences to this action in terms
of users being able to

access their old mailboxes when I do finally get this exchange server back
online.

My databases from this server are fine and intact, it seems that the OS and
system state backups are

not.

Any help/advice would be really appreciated.

David