As I understand it, these directions would force our Exchange (Edge) server
to do an external DNS lookup vs our internal DNS server.  Any internal
email on the exchange server should still remain unaffected? This should
only cause externally destined emails to perform the lookup on external DNS
servers?

As I understand it, the function of DNSSEC is to ensure the validity of the
resolved host.  So making this change ensures that Exchange will use the
correct/secure MX record for the destination domain.

Since this requires a reboot, I am cautious of making any changes when
sending to other domains is not having a problem.

Thanks for the input!
Eric