Who says it's not a good idea? :P

I generally prefer a gateway for INGRESS. Egress is arguable.

From: Kennedy, Jim [mailto:kennedy...@elyriaschools.org]
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2012 10:14 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Build a SMTP Smarthost for outgoing emails

Do you have a need for the relay as opposed to just sending it out with
exchange. I know the prevailing opinion is don't let exchange talk to the
internet but I just have our hub server send the external emails out...I have
no problem with Exchange making outgoing connections.

Not trying to stir up that debate, just tossing out the simple fix.