Okay, I think my confusion about the different IP comes from the wizard.  The
wizard doesn't ask about remote IP's, so I will need to create it from
PowerShell in order to get the "unique combination of a local IP address, port
bindings, and remote IP address ranges".

From: Robinson, Chuck [mailto:chuck.robin...@emc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:15 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Allow anonymous on default Receive Connector?

You don't want to allow Anonymous on the Default Receive Connectors because
they allow all IP's to connect.

The better answer is to create a new connector, allow anonymous and specify
only the IP's that you are allowing to send. Also, you don't need another IP,
Exchange will select the proper connector.

Assuming you have more than one HT server role: Be sure HT to HT SMTP is not
load balanced, Exchange handles that already.

Chuck Robinson
Sr. Solutions Architect
Microsoft Certified Master: Exchange 2010
MCITP: EA Windows Server 2008

EMC Consulting
Mobile: 973-865-0394
chuck.robin...@emc.com<mailto:chuck.robin...@emc.com>
www.emc.com/consulting<http://www.emc.com/consulting>

Transforming Information Into Business Results