Tom

I have to say that our experience of Barracuda Loadbalancers (physical 440
appliances) for Loadbalancing Exchange 2010 has been pretty poor. Some other
members of the team refer to the LB440s as "chocolate teapots" compared the
reliability of some of our other kit.

We've had the boxes for just over a year, and we struggled all the way through
3.X, 4.0 and 4.1 code, with binaries crashing, core dumps being taken by
development teams, and it's only in the past three months running 4.2.0.015
code have we had a stable service. I think there was an oddity with one part of
OWA that we had been having problems with from the outset that was magically
fixed by one firmware upgrade but wasn't described in the release notes. The
Barracuda is pretty good at detecting when a binary has crashed and restarting
it, but there's a 2-3 minute outage when that happens. The HA failover between
devices only cuts in for "proper service outages" that last minutes - it's
definitely not hitless failover.

The LB Barracuda support is based out of India but they are pretty responsive,
are knowledgeable L2-L3 engineers, have a direct line to the developers, and
speak good English, so if you want to open a call e-mail
supp...@barracuda.com<mailto:supp...@barracuda.com> but copy in
linkandloadsupport_t...@barracuda.com<mailto:linkandloadsupport_t...@barracuda.com>
 and they'll be on the case pretty quickly. If you're able to enable the
support tunnel (you initiate a SSH connection from the LB440 back to their
systems) they can diagnose what's gone wrong fairly well. Just to add insult to
injury one batch of firmware was good at messing up the disk partitions and
hence bricking the appliances, although thankfully we didn't lose both at the
same time so we've even had both devices swapped out under next day
replacement. They've earnt their money for the first year support contract.

After almost a year of pain with multiple release of code, up until last week
we had just had 3 months of uninterrupted service. But last week we had a
tell-tale sign of a binary crash with a 2-3min outage. The crash (after
analysis of the core dump by Barracuda) is a bug they've already fixed in
4.2.1.006..... now I'm asking questions about how stable this new release is,
and we'll have the dilemma of staying put or branching off into the unknown new
firmware.

I think it's true to say that all the issues we've had have not resulted in
service outages more than a few minutes, but there have been plenty of those.
And if a binary crash is going to occur it's going to be when it's busy,
typically not in the middle of the night. We have approx. 5000 users and
traffic peaks between 50-70Mbit's on LB440 during busy periods. It's doing the
full range of protocols including IMAPS and POPS.

Our experiences may have fixed all the problems for everyone else, but you can
make up your own minds.
Sent to you via a Barracuda LB440 :)

_________________________________

Tomo | Senior Infrastructure Engineer - Networks, Telecoms & Security.
Direct line +44 (0)20 7000 7777

www.london.edu<http://www.london.edu/> | London experience. World impact.
Connect with us: [Description: Description: twitter.jpg]
<https://twitter.com/LondonBSchool>  Follow us on
Twitter<https://twitter.com/LondonBSchool>  [Description: Description:
facebook.jpg]
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/London-United-Kingdom/London-Business-School/14027365105>