Did you ask a question? :P

From: Peter Johnson [mailto:johnson.pet...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:40 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Exchange CAS load balancing question

Hi Gurus

Got an interesting question:

I've got customer who is in the process of migrating to Exchange 2010 SP2 from
Exchange 2003. They currently have multiple IP subnets connected by a High
Speed backplane. However there are no site definitions other than
Default-First_Name and all subnets are in that sites.

My question is around CAS-Arrays and Load balancing the CAS role in this
environment. The eventual goal is to have two CAS,HT,MBX servers in the main
building and one CAS,HT,MBX in their DR site. However if all these servers are
in the same site and I use a 3rd party load balancer such as the KEMP can I
configure the load balancing so that the 3rd CAS role is not used unless the
other two are down.

I intend to deal with issue of dealing with a "site failure" by manually
changing the DNS value to the FQDN of the CAS role in the DR site.

So basically I need to configure it in such a way that the two servers in the
main site are the only ones used.

I suspect I'm over complicating the situation here but I need a sanity check :)

Thanks in advance
Peter Johnson

or send an email to