Before the throttling question can be addressed we need to know what is the
volume of mail that you are sending to gmail?

From: Steve Hart
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 12:34 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: OT: GMail sending woes

We’re on Exchange 2007. Our emails to non-gmail servers are moving normally.

I’m having difficulty consistently sending emails to gmail. Emails move
normally for an hour or two. Then, the emails build in the queue. The queue is
in the “active” state and there are no error messages. After 5 to 15 minutes,
all of the email will move.

When I telnet to the gmail servers, I get syntax errors (no matter if the
emails are currently going through or not)

It’s possible that gmail is throttling our emails. How can I troubleshoot this?

Steve

Steve Hart

Network Administrator

503.491.4343 -Direct | 503.492.8160 - Fax