From: Kurt Buff [mailto:kurt.b...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:03 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Exchange upgrade considerations for my environment - how would you
proceed?

Sitrep:
HQ in Redmond and two overseas offices, each running Exchange 2003.

HQ is doing message journaling for all sites. MJ mailbox (containing all mail
from approximately June 2009, with no clear corporate policy on mail retention,
so we keep it all) is approaching 450gb in a separate database - all mailboxes
in HQ are in a single DB that's approaching 400gb. PFs (several thousand!) and
some are replicated across all servers, while others are only replicated from
overseas offices to the US - size in the US office of about 40gb .

HQ has 2x2008R2 DCs, and the DFL/FFL is at 2003 native.

No archiving solution in place (we tried the Metalogix one shortly after
Sunbelt took it over, along with the file archiving solution, and it was less
than satisfactory, probably due to implementation errors, but it left a bad
taste, nonetheless)

Exchange servers in all offices are 6 years old

Current IT manager wants to consolidate all Exchange servers into a single
server in the US at some point, but bandwidth and latency are not great,
especially for the UK office.

Which would you do first?

o- Implement an archiving solution for the HQ? (manager is currently touting
the Barracuda solution, though he's not played with it, and nor have I)

o- Upgrade to Exchange 2010 and not worry about server consolidation until
later, and use the native archiving (I'm not up on this either)

o- Upgrade to Exchange 2010 and consolidate servers and use native archiving

o- Something else?

Kurt