Michael,
Exactly the information I was looking for.

Thank you

Dana

From: Michael B. Smith [mailto:mich...@smithcons.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:33 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: OUTLOOK 2010 and Junk E-Mail folder question

It does it a couple of ways. FOPE has a spam engine, Exchange has a spam
engine, and Outlook has a spam engine.

FOPE configuration is "stand alone"

Exchange configuration allows you to define a confidence level as to whether a
piece of email is spam or not and depending on that confidence level to drop
the message or to send it on to Outlook.

Outlook also has a spam engine. Based on the SCL it will either immediately
file the message in Junk, or re-evaluate the message based on its own spam
engine. Based on that evaluation it is either placed into Inbox or Junk.

Exchange gets semi-regular updates directly from Microsoft.

Outlook engine updates come out as patches to Outlook.