Thanks.

I'll run the tests again next week after the four days have passed and let you have the output.

Philip Hazel wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Steve Sargent wrote:

Retry rule: imap.qmul.ac.uk  *  F,1h,5m; F,2h,15m; G,16h,2h,1.5; F,4d,8h;

Route: [EMAIL PROTECTED] error 0: SMTP error from remote mailer after
RCPT TO:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: host localhost.qmul.ac.uk [127.0.0.1]: 452
4.2.2 Over quota
 first failed: 20-Jun-2005 16:04:20
 last tried:   23-Jun-2005 13:01:24
 next try at:  23-Jun-2005 21:01:24

So it hasn't hit four days yet. Therefore it won't time out yet. That is a routing retry record. So it shouldn't try routing again till the next try time.

 exim -d -M <an id for a stuck message>

Considering: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
unique = [EMAIL PROTECTED]
dbfn_read: key=R:imap.qmul.ac.uk
dbfn_read: key=R:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
no domain retry record
[EMAIL PROTECTED]: queued for routing

It does NOT say "no address retry record", which means that it did find the retry record.

routing [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Did you run this after 23-Jun-2005 21:01:24? If not (and I suspect not), it shouldn't have gone on to the routing... OH, SILLY ME. IDIOT. What I should have told you to do was

   exim -d -Mc <an id for a stuck message>
The -Mc is vital. With just -M, it ignores delays and proceeds anyway. With -Mc, it respects retry times. So the -M is forcing it to proceed.

added retry item for R:[EMAIL PROTECTED]: errno=0 65 flags=0

... and updates the retry information.

But in any case, as it isn't 4 days from the first failure, it would not have bounced the message.

--
Steve Sargent, Vox +44 020 7882 3220, Fax +44 020 8980 2001
QMUL Computing Services,  Mile End Road,  London E1 4NS, UK

                                PIPER       _|_