You hit the nail on the head, my friend! I was hired on where I am to
convert them to a more reliable Linux-based solution in almost all aspects
of the company. In the meantime, I am stuck chasing issues from Microsoft
based solutions. I barely have time to develop the new solutions due to
all of it wasted on current faulty software. I don't know what I'm going
to do with my time once I get everything converted.. it'll all 'just
work'.. so lovely. :)

On Mon, December 19, 2005 07:54, Jason Meers wrote:

>>>box once a month or so, but those days are long gone. I really don't
>>> know
>>>what people do to their Windows boxes if they have to reboot them
>>> "multiple
>>>times a day".
>>

> They run exchange, and the wonderfully designed and efficient
> "store.exe" consumes all available RAM until the server stops responding
> and kills exchange until it is rebooted. Given the choice of waiting for
> the crash to happen during work hours, or setting scheduled a restart a
> 7:00am every morning, we choose to FORCE a reboot every day to fix the
> leaks. Since we started rebooting every day our crashes have stopped.
> Re-booting every day is the ONLY way to keep exchange working at our
> sites.
>
>> They patch them. *
>>
>> At least, from observing others, that seems to be standard
>> practice (and it generally requires a reboot). Personally, I patch
>> all the Linux systems each morning if there are things that need
>> updating, during work time. No-one notices.
>>
>> Matthew
>>
>> * Admittedly not "multiple times a day", though.
>>
> Reboots don't have to be down to Exchange patches it's one big mess of
> Active-Directory, IIS, JET and Windows itself. Installing a new version
> of IE requires a reboot. Even plugging in a USB device can require a
> reboot.
>
> All of my problems can be fixed by adding more memory, more processors
> and usually by upgrading to the latest version. Quite often I find a
> technet article that says "this is a known problem", "we know what
> causes it", "we know how to fix it", "however we wont, upgrade to
> version XYZ, we accept VISA, MASTERCARD, AMEX..."
>
> Why should anyone be forced to buy a new product if the original product
> is faulty and the manufacturer refuses to fix it (in order to increase
> sales of new products)
>
> I don't think I have ever heard anyone say Exchange is a great product
> (except sales people), I think users learn to love it and administrators
> learn to hate it and just look for ways to throw more resources at it to
> keep it up.
>
> Since replacing Exchange with Scalix a four man team has been able to
> get back to some "real" IT work which helped us reduce IT costs in a
> multi-million dollar company by 75% this year, isn't that what IT depts
> should be doing instead of trying to keep buggy software together or
> just constantly handing out the protection money for new versions.
>
> Jason
>

> --

Steven McCoy
Site Development/Manager