Philip Hazel wrote:

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, Marc Sherman wrote:

Here's a repost with excerpts from today's exim_mainlog file, un-edited:
This entry is logged over 30,000 times per day in the exim_mainlog:
2005-12-28 09:36:50 no IP address found for host
smtp05.dc2.safesecureweb.com (during SMTP connection from NULL)

The NULL is perplexing to me; that's up to Philip to answer, I guess.
Possibly an SMTP connection from localhost?

No, it's a bug. Finally rose to the top of my list. Fixed in the next release - it should show the IP address. At least, I have fixed one circumstance that could do that; let's hope it's the same as the one you hit. It occurred if there was an error very early on in the connection, typically as a result of host_lookup, and looking up the IP address gave a host name that could not be looked up.

Philip

Hmm.. I thought it was a 'feature'  ;-)

Not positive, but the third line, below, added to /etc/hosts (FreeBSD 4.1X) may be what 'satisfied' it.

::1                     localhost
127.0.0.1               localhost
127.0.0.1               0

Anyway - such annoying log entries ceased at once.

JFWIW....

Bill Hacker