Tony Finch wrote:

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, W B Hacker wrote:

require verify = recipient/callout

Well - yes, if on the same server ....

No, callouts work across servers. We use this on the MXs in Cambridge to
verify addresses in departments such as the Computer Lab that run their
own email servers. It also works for organizations such as the University
Press for which we act as a secondary MX.

Tony.

Surely they are *intended* to do so, and certainly may do if all is well. Better than 'ident' for sure...

But I am sure you know at least as well as I how unpredictable they can be in the smtp world-at-large - especially given the mix of brazillions of minor players with who-knows-how config and certain 'major' ISP's who would just as soon blacklist those who query their servers regularly, then abort w/o traffic - even on sender verification.

I'd have to be convinced that off-box pre-delivery recipient callouts earned their overhead vs simple 'send-it-and-see'.

On-box or within-known-network / affinity group, where you can talk to the folks running 'em is a whole 'nuther critter.

In Marc's case, I remain baffled as to where checking for an address that was of his own 'generated ..' and '.. arbitrary' devising is needed / useful instead of a more direct method.

Bill