On Nov 15, 2006, at 10:26 AM, Dave Pooser wrote:

>> An extremely high percentage of spambots sends "MAIL FROM: <>"
>> instead
>> of "MAIL FROM:<>".
>
> I've seen that test FP for me a few times-- most recently on an
> automated
> invoice-mailing system using Blat 1.9.4 (an open-source Windows
> command-line
> mailer). Still, it rates a high SpamAssassin score around here.

We have had only one FP recently with a sender in Europe with the
RCPT TO syntax check.

I told the admin he needed to contact his email server vendor and
have them fix their bug.

Meanwhile I just added his ip to our whitelists table to not do
syntax checking.

I did get back a note from him that the vendor was issuing a fix.

The other interesting thing I found regarding these syntax checks was
this:

<http://www.google.com/codesearch?q=%22MAIL+FROM%3A+%3C%22&btnG=Search
+Code>

there seem to be just as many SMTP library writes who can't read RFC
as much as the spammers.

Brian