Graeme Fowler wrote:

> Peter and I, wearing our assistant-sub-co-list-moderator hats, are just
> discussing this very issue.
>
> In view of the fact that this very conversation has happened on a number
> of occasions both on the list and off it without a "happy medium" being
> the outcome, we are likely to provide a suitably middle-of-the-road
> paragraph for the Wiki ourselves. We are, after all, often the people
> who end up arbitrating these issues when feelings get hurt!

Dave Evans suggested the following text in a private email to me:

Dave Evans wrote:

> You may find that some people on the Exim mailing lists refuse to
> answer questions posted with obfuscated logs or configuration files.
> If you post obfuscated details on the mailing list, you may receive a
> reply directing you to this page. If you repost your question with
> unobfuscated logs and configuration files, you might be more likely
> to receive a helpful answer from the members of the Exim mailing
> lists.

I'm perfectly content with that. I would still like to see how the poll
comes out, though, just out of curiousity.

Graeme Fowler wrote:

> Given a list membership of 1959, we can with reasonable accuracy say
> that the answer is "no"; If it was above 1% on a regular basis I would
> be very surprised.

Well, that's true, but the number of people who regularly respond to
questions on the list is probably closer to 20 or 30. So, technically
speaking, the vast majority of those 1959 subscribers refuse to answer
obfuscated questions, by virtue of the fact that they refuse to answer
any questions. :) I'm no statistician, but I think self-selection is
reasonable for this kind of poll.

- Marc