Graeme Fowler wrote:
> Actually, that won't work either if you end up with $home trying to be a
> nonexistent directory, because your error is coming inside the pipe
> transport you're using for delivery.
>
> You need to do one of:
>
>  - remove check_local_user from the transport, or
>  - set $home to be something which does exist, which Exim can chdir to
> (like /tmp for example).
>  - see if you can use http://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/DebianStable
>
> The first two fixes have security (and other) implications; the last one
> removes the need for you to use the Dovecot delivery agent at all and
> let Exim do the work.

Thanks for the advice. I think that the second one would be the most
viable. I do not want to remove the check_local_user directive because
that would presumably mean accepting mail for recipients that did not
exist (unless there is some sort of separate check like LDAP).

I want to use dovecot deliver because it updates the imap index files
which Exim does not (I think). If Exim is capable of creating the
delivery directory itself, I would forgo this "luxury" (but why should
I?) It seems odd that Exim is doing a check in the transport itself,
when if I run the same command myself it succeeds with no error.

Regards

Chris