Hi,

as I had a shell-script-driven approach to greylisting, battle address harvesters a.s.o. I also included SPF there and do not use the experimental built-in. But I think I can give you both at least a hint on your localhost Q and observation

and clearly does not include localhost. So passing messags from
localhost might be a feature of SPF in general or of the implementation
in Exim.

I wouldn't think localhost is handled special by SPF, but usually (in standard- and example configs) you have a very early rule ACCEPTing existing local users, before it does any "expensive" (netwise: DNS lookup etc.) actions. In this case your SPF is not even tested, which is the aim of this rule. You wouldn't want to greylist internal addresses either, would you?

Hardy