Hi all,

I just want to let you know the situation normalized "all by itself", and as far as I can judge no message was lost, as obviously the sender part considered the problem a temporary one and we were still within retry periods.

I didn't change effectively anything, neither to cause nor to resolve the problems, and the sender sides were too many different ones as I would think it plausible they had a problem.

Some of you in this list suggested mis-aligned network. I suspect this happened on my hoster's part. They did not communicate any problem, though. I suspect they misconfigured and corrected silently, whatever it was. According to my logs this situation lasted for about 12+ hours.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Hardy

all of a sudden (after a reboot of the machine, but I cannot see a
connection to that) exim produces a lot of

data timeout on (message abandoned) on connection from mx.example.com
[IP] F=<me@???>

in my logs. These are always the same systems, that retry and fail
again. Other systems don't show probs. By the looks this happens in the
rcpt or data ACL, as the F= is available in the log.

I reinstalled last week's exim.conf to cancel recent changes, but this
did not help.