On 2020-07-15 at 10:02 +0100, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users wrote:
> On 14/07/2020 18:57, Johnnie W Adams via Exim-users wrote:
> >      Now I'm replacing that box with a newer one and wondering how to move
> > the queue of frozen mail from the old machine to the new--or if I'm better
> > off just waiting till it all expires.
>

> As to how: just copy the files.  And delete the old ones.  Preferably
> having ensured the daemon on the old machine is not running.
>
> I'm not answering the "whether to"; that's policy.

Be sure to transfer the -D files before the -H files; probably in order
"-D", "-J", "-H".

But otherwise, yes.

If you want to transfer them in one batch, then make sure the daemon on
the _receiving_ side is shut down first too.  Basically, Exim treats the
-H headers file as its control file.  If it's present, a queue-runner
will try to route/deliver etc and then get upset if -D is missing.  If
-D is present without -H then that's just new mail coming in and a
queue-runner will just skip to the next item.  Meanwhile -J are the
journals, if you've enabled that for your Exim.

So:
 1. shut down old Exim
 2. either shutdown new Exim temporarily and sync all files then start
    new Exim back up, OR:
 3. Sync the -D files
 4. Sync the -J files if any
 5. Sync the -H files

-Phil, hoping I haven't gotten this all backwards, going just from
       memory.