I've been running exim for 20 odd years and only after upgrading to 4.94 I see an issue

* Remote sender sends email to a local user

* Mail is delivered to local user

but sometimes exim doesn't close the connection to the senders SMTP server correctly (believe there is some sort of handshake that fails, message accepted or similar), the sender SMTP therefore keeps sending the same message over and over again. Is there some sort of timeout setting that can be set in the config? This has happened numerous times now on different servers