Heiko Schlittermann wrote
>> systemctl restart dovecot
>Why dovecot?

I don't remember why, it was a while ago.  Maybe unnecessary.  I did
know that exim4 re-reads the file and a restart wasn't needed for it.

The modulos match as root.  But I realised it was important to do it as
Debian-exim.  I don't have sudo installed but used  su -s /bin/bash
Debian-exim.  (Thanks for listing the exact commands BTW).

And the error was fairly obvious.  I couldn't read the cert file or the
symlink to it.

/etc/letsencrypt and its subdirectories live and archive were group
executable (750), but the group was root.  Changing the group to
Debian-exim fixed the problem.  The private keys are still (700
root:root) so I trust this hasn't reduced security.

Thanks Heiko!

Adrian