Am 08.11.21 um 22:25 schrieb Carlo via Exim-users:
hi
i'm playing with a nas i've installed debian stable on, and i used to
have some scripts with mailx work to send me messages through external
providers/servers/etc till i upgraded debian: now i can't send mails
through mailx but i can through telnet and swaks: here are mailx and
swaks logs, please treat me as a true noob
ok.

this contains the message, that one ...

echo “Subject: sendmail test” | mail -vtroianica...@gmail.com
LOG: MAIN
   <=nas...@federcasapescara.it  U=root P=local S=479
➜  ~ delivering 1mk3js-0006Jf-IB
...  contains this error: You did not use SMTP-AUTH to authenticate yourself as a valid user:

HELP
   SMTP>> MAIL FROM:<nas...@federcasapescara.it>  SIZE=1515
   SMTP>> RCPT TO:<troianica...@gmail.com>
   SMTP>> DATA
   SMTP<< 250 OK
   SMTP<< 550 authentication required
   SMTP<< 503-All RCPT commands were rejected with this error:
          503-*authentication required*
          503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA
   SMTP>> QUIT
   SMTP(close)>>
LOG: MAIN

where this:
swaks --tls --auth --tosegrete...@federcasapescara.it  --server
mail.federcasapescara.it
Username:nas...@federcasapescara.it
Password: xxx
=== Trying mail.federcasapescara.it:25...
did do SMTP-AUTH and succeeded:

  ~> AUTH LOGIN
<~  334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
  ~> bmFzb25lQGZlZGVyY2FzYXBlc2NhcmEuaXQ=
<~  334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
  ~> Tmd1bGFtbWFtbXQxIQ==
<~  235 Authentication succeeded
  ~> MAIL FROM:<r...@ilmionasone.fritz.box>
<~  250 OK
  ~> RCPT TO:<segrete...@federcasapescara.it>
<~  250 Accepted

As simple as it can be, your "mailx" approach needs SMTP-AUTH support or your mailserver needs to allow your actual ip as a relayhost without smtp-auth. If you have trouble adding smtp-auth to mailx, you could revert to an old form of authentication: pop-before-smtp, but honestly, use a better mailclient if mailx can't support smtp-auth.

best regards,
Marius