On 30/09/2022 15:33, Viktor Dukhovni via Exim-users wrote:
On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 02:04:51PM +0100, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users wrote:
Note that this client won't work against current OpenSSL
default builds.

When you say "current" you mean 3.1-dev?  What is the observed failure
mode?  It "works" against the latest OpenSSL 1.1.1 (the server responds
with server hello, certificate, ..., server hello done).

Perhaps TLS 1.1 is not enabled in your build?

OpenSSL 3.0.5 5 Jul 2022    running on Fedora 36

I think using the distro standard package
openssl-1:3.0.2-4.fc36.x86_64
(though I note the numbers don't exactly line up)

The failure mode is a TLS Alert complaining about version
(I forget the precise wording, sorry)
and followed by what looks like a library internal bug-triggered
error for a BIO operation error.

Clearing either no_tlsv1_1 or no_sslv3 has no effect.

Let me know if you need a repeat run.
--
Cheers,
  Jeremy