On 17/11/2022 19:10, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users wrote:
On 17/11/2022 16:36, Martin Clayton via Exim-users wrote:
So, sorry to be a tainted dummy, but I'm still left wondering how to deal with this.

{exists{VHOST_DIR/$domain_data/VHOST_CONFIG_DIR/blacklists/${extract{1}{=!&/}{$item}{$value}{$item}}}}

The filename there is built from a directory path which is not tainted,
and a filename which is.  This is a standard pattern for detainting
using a dsearch lookup
So, use a ${lookup {tainted_thing} dsearch {untainted_path}   {found} {not_found}}.

Huge thanks for the direction and clarity. I'm sure I can now get the new machine purring. I'm usually fairly good with docs and find exim4 particularly 'tight' (in a good way), sometimes, 'intense'. ;) Normally, it's battling with syntax but this one feels more like policy and I lost the way. 'Taint easy but one day I'll have a better grip on the fundamentals and the blindingly obvious will be visible -- although, I can see how that could go wrong :)

I'm looking at such a small part of exim, how you/team keep the whole project together is simply amazing.

Thanks!