On 2023-01-09 Jeremy Harris via Exim-users <exim-users@exim.org> wrote:
> On 09/01/2023 17:39, Andreas Metzler via Exim-users wrote:
[...]
>>> something changed how exim or openssl3  is handling the underlying
>>> certificate switch detection. As Exim had only a tiny minor switch, OpenSSL3
>>> is my personal candidate for this.
>> [...]

>> The major change in recentish time was in 4.95
>> 11. Faster TLS startup.  When various configuration options contain no
>>      expandable elements, the information can be preloaded and cached rather
>>      than the provious behaviour of always loading at startup time for every
>>      connection.  This helps particularly for the CA bundle.
>>
>> I have also switch to restarting instead of HUP-ing my exim after cert
>> updates at some point because the old cert still showed up.

> Interesting.  Is/are you cert(s) behind a symlink, from the place
> baked into the TLS library (which is what Exim monitors)?

> If so, you should pick up commits ef57b25bfa76, a1ec98dd9637
> "Symlink following for TLS creds files"
> These are post-4.96 so have not hit a release yet.

Hello Jeremy,

I have had this on my TODO, waiting for the next letsencrypt cert
update. I dropped the
"service exim4 stop ; sleep .2 ; service exim4 start"
from my post update script and checked whether exim now automatically
saw the new certs. It did. :-)

I am not symlinking my certs and since this was on Debian's 4.96-14~bpo11+1
neither of the two symlink-cert fixes are included. (I will consider
cherry-picking them anyway.) So it looks like something else was broken
at some point in time and is fixed again.

cu Andreas
so grateful to you.'