Hello people,

I'm using exim 4.96 from Debian bookworm.

I have some questions regarding verifying local virtual users before
deliverying messages.

This is my local_user router:

local_user:
 debug_print = "R: local_user for $local_part@$domain"
 driver = accept
 domains = +local_domains
# check_local_user
 local_parts = ! root
 condition = ${lookup{$local_part@$domain}dsearch{/srv/vmail}}
 transport = dovecot_lda
 cannot_route_message = Unknown user

I did comment check_local_user because there are no system users, only virtual
users defined in a mysql database, used in conjunction with dovecot to
authenticate. The 'condition' directive will check the existence of a directory
in /srv/vmail whose name is the email address and that's the Maildir base
directory. If this directory exists, the email account exists. It does the job
but I would like to be sure if this rule is OK.

- It is a good idea checking sender this way?

- Would be better checking in a file with lsearch? i.e.
/etc/exim4/email_addresses which contains all virtual users email addresses?

- What about checking a MySQL table the existence of virtual users? Such table
exists because is the table used by the dovecot authenticator. How can this
check be coded?

- When the text 'Unknown user' on directive 'cannot_route_message' is sent on SMTP
session? when the check fails, the messages are550-Verification failed for <...>
550-Unrouteable address 550 Sender verification failed".

I'm using the following transport:

dovecot_lda:
 driver = lmtp
 socket = /var/run/dovecot/lmtp