Alex, thanks for this - straight forward, reflecting my own experience, and a 
good reminder to see the doc again for a check-up!

Cheers Heiko


________________________________
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Alexander 
Lebedeff
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 6:24 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [[SPAM-(Bayesian)]] - Expat List Medical coverage - Bayesian Filter 
detected spam

This may sound a bit silly, but it's a piece of advice I give out to all of my 
expat sisters and brothers.

For everyday medicine, Russian medical facilities are, in general, quite more 
advanced and "civilized" than many expats will believe.  The caveat is, when 
approaching medical staff in Russia, it helps to have a decent understanding of 
the language, and a decent understanding of what you actually need.  Rule of 
thumb: if the place advertises, it's probably OK.

I've had a root canal done by a Russian dentist, and it was done well -- for 
about 200 USD, including the "top-end" anaesthetics.  (In Seattle it would have 
cost me 2000 USD.)  Compare that to the monthly fee for an insurance plan, and 
you understand that pay-by-go can be a much more financially sound option.  I 
mean, how often does one need a root canal?

When it comes to emergency medical coverage, your main "insurance" is your 
foreign passport.  Trust me -- if, God forbid, you get into an accident or 
something -- your foreign passport will open doors at any Russian clinic, since 
they know that sooner or later, you'll be able to foot the bill.  Your 
"registration" tells them where you live.  Or at least they think so.

If you choose my route, then ALWAYS have your passport on you.  Seriously.

And GO FOR CHECKUPS.  They cost 500-1000 rubes, and I've been lax on this 
myself recently, so I thank the original sender of this thread for reminding me.

I hope I haven't "jinxed" myself by giving this advice (tfoo-tfoo-tfoo!), but 
I've been here for 5 years, and I simply don't sweat it.  Russian medicine is 
on the same level as Russian physics, or military aviation... not too shabby.

Until,

-Alex
_______________________________________________
Expat mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.lists.ru/mailman/listinfo/expat
http://www.expat.ru/forum/

Reply via email to