> > > Yup.  If you have the CD, you'll find it in Mandrake/RPMS.  If you're
> > > using the 2.2.1 kernel, SMP is now a 'make config' option.
> > >
> > I'm running 2.0.36, which is supposed to have lots of SMP-related fixes
> > without the 'experimental' 2.2.x kernel.  Anyhow, let me double check with
> > you as far as my converting-to-SMP procedure goes.
> >
> > (1) Uncomment the SMP=1 line in top-level Makefile
> > (2) make config
> > (3) make dep
> > (4) make clean
> > (5) make boot
> > (6) make modules
> > (7) make modules_install
> > (8) make zImage
> > (9) Move the file at /usr/local/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage to /dev/fd0
> >     and/or reconfigure LILO.
> > (10) Reboot and cross my fingers.
> >
> > Anything wrong with this?  Would 'make all' suffice in this case, even
> > though it'll take more time?  I've tried the above procedure and something
> > seems wrong...  Your help is appreciated.
>
> You could probably skip step 5 above, but everything else looks fine.
>
> I'm wondering about steps 2 and 3 also.  For ages, I've used them as you
> listed, but the Mandrake document concerning the 2.2.1 kernel lists them
> in reverse order.  Not sure which is correct, I'd stick with what you've
> got listed.

Okay...I got it working =)  I'll outline what I did, step by step, for any
future questions.

(1) Uncomment the SMP=1 line in /usr/src/linux/Makefile
(2) make mrproper  (all 'make' commands issued from /usr/src/linux)
(3) make menuconfig
(3) make dep
(5) make modules
(6) make modules_install
(7) make zImage
(8) make zdisk (with floppy in fd0)
(9) mv /boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-3 /boot/vmlinuz.old  (save old kernel!)
(10) cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-3
(11) lilo

This is verbatim, for the Mandrake 5.3 with the 2.0.36 kernel.  Good luck
to future SMP'ers!

Mike Shover