Michael Doyle wrote:

> G'day
>
> Mandrake v5.3
>
> This was a full clean install of the GPL CD version, minus the non English
> Documentation.
>
> When booting under v5.2, I got 2 consecutive lines of "Initializing Random
> Number Generator", and the boot continued no problem.
>
> Now when booting under v5.3 I get the same but the first instance has an error
> message, stating that the file or directory was not found, or some thing close
> to this, then the second instance, all clear and the system boots.
>
> This does not appear to be any great problem, but I would like a clean boot,
> and are the 2 instances needed???

Edit /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and remove the final two lines that read:

        # Feed entropy into the entropy pool
        /etc/rc.d/init.d/random start

They're issued earlier in the script, causing the double messages.

If any Mandrake development people are reading, there's also a small
buglet that causes a message "/etc/sysconfig/i18n not found" to be
issued during bootup.  From looking at the rc.sysinit script, it looks
like the line that reads:

        . /etc/sysconfig/i18n

should be wrapped in an if statement, or have that sourcing depend upon
having foreign language support installed (I assume that's what would
install the i18n file).

--
Steve Philp             "Oh Lord, I go for penguins. 'Cause penguins are
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     so sensitive to my needs..."    --Lyle Lovett