First things first, I *have* read the archives.  Did you actually read
the message?  It's not *just* one of those "zip drive problems".  It's a
problem with both my parallel port Zip drive (actually, I'm fairly
certain that if I tried to attach a printer I'd have a similar problem)
*and* the modem.

So far, my searches and the responses I've receive thus far haven't
solved the problem.  (BTW, thanks Jeremy for the suggestion, but no
luck.  Also, hey bug, does an external modem try to show up as PCI or
ISA?  That seems a bit strange to me.)

My next step is to run through the BIOS and just peek and poke (does
that bring back memories for anyone else?) around with ECP vs. EPP and
"Plug & Play" settings.  I don't really see how those could have gotten
changed, but... that seems to be the only remaining thing I can think to
do.

~Mike