On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Mike Abney wrote:

> To re-cap: Both my external modem and my parallel-port Zip drive were
> working fine in RH 5.2 (and Win '95, but who cares). I tried installing
> both RH6.0 and LM6.0 and neither seemed to be able to find either the
> modem nor the Zip. After that, even RH5.2 would not reinstall and detect
> them.
>
> I'm not sure *exactly* which setting did it, but I got RH5.2 working
> again by playing with the BIOS. Once that happened, I thought I'd play
> around with trying to upgrade/install the 6.0 products again. *Neither*
> worked. They both fail to detect my Zip drive. *However* I did notice
> this little detail. In RH5.2, during the boot process, the following
> shows up:

  Ok. use dmesg and grep for scsi.  If you don't find "scsi: 0 hosts
found" , then scsi support isn't in the kernel.  At a that point, a
recompile of the kernel is needed.

  If you have a Zip drive made before august of 1998, then you need to run

modprobe ppa

  to get it recognized.  Do this from a console command line, as the
kernel messages won't show up in an X windows terminal session.

  if it is after 1998, then run

modprobe imm

  to get it recognize.  then you can run

mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /zip

 to mount it on the previously created /zip directory (use mkdir).

bug