At 07:14  5/07/99 -0700, you wrote:
>hi all,
>
>using lm 5.3:
>a friend telnetted into my machine and we tried to use 'talk'.
>
>kept getting the following messages:
>
>[No connection yet]
>[Checking for invitation on caller's machine]
First thing, has it worked previously?

Secondly, talkd running on local machine? ... or check the version, maybe
upgrade needed. We had this problem @ work, but running under SunOS, and
the talk daemon was screwed for some reason even though it worked
previously. Problem was that using the old details/conf stuffed it up, so
maybe check that too,

Regards

Geoffrey Croxson
Page me on the net http://wwp.mirabilis.com/1120068
Senior Micro-Computing Support Officer     Ph: 9514 1218
Humanities and Social Sciences             Fax:9514 1041
University of Technology, Sydney           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]