Hi Geoffrey,

Sorry I didn't get back to you when I solved it!

All it took was to put 'ALL: localhost' in my hosts.allow file, because
I had put 'ALL: ALL' in my hosts.deny file :-)

Then I connected with myself in two xterm windows :-)

And I know alot of people still have their computers named 'localhost'
so when not using 'talk' with anyone, will just # out that line in my
'hosts.allow' file.

Now to get 'ftp' to work..... it is enabled in the inetd.conf file...
but when I try it in an xterm window,

it comes right back with   'connected to localhost.'

and it stays that way for about 20 seconds before giving me
   '421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.'

So, does that mean it works, or not?

Karen