> > Hum, sorry, but I don't think I understand your reasoning. On the one
> > hand you say it isn't advisable to apply update patches to Mandrake's
> > kernel sources but on the other I see no reason against doing so in
> > your explanation. Could you explain it again (in simple words ;)?
>
> Sorry, I had misread your question. I had thought you were asking whether
> or not it's advisable to install stock kernels without worrying about the
> patches the Mandrake RPM applies. (Just returned from a few busy hours of
> fixing up XLink Trier's network by updating some boxes from SuSE 4.4 to
> Mandrake 6 ;) )
>
> Yes, it's generally save to apply update patches to the Mandrake kernels.

Speaking as a user, I would say that it's better to downoad a fresh source
tree if you want to apply the kernel patches (ie patch-2.2.100 to 2.2.101).

Mandrake have applied a lot of 'ac' (Alan Cox) patches that will confuse
patch as you tree to upgrade, and patch, by default, will offer to remove
any previously applied patches (ie the parts that were included in acX and
patch-2.2.XX will be removed).

If you are talking about other patches (ie to support a fancy piece of
hardware) which aren't included in the kernel, or aren't supported by any of
the patches that Mandrake have already applied either, then yes, it would be
safe.