Bernhard Rosenkränzer wrote:

> Can you determine what's different about the 3rd?
> On one of the two machines locking, can you open an xterm and type "top"
> before they lock up? I'd like to see if there's a process eating up all
> memory or something alike.

Sometimes I could, sometimes not. It doesn't really matter now, as I
finally tracked down the culprit.

It seems the Cirrus Logic 5465 driver built in the SVGA X server from
XFree crashes the machine (the PCI bus?) whenever big transfers occur
between graphics memory and main memory. In 1024x768 32 bpp, it was
perfectly reproductible by playing with the desktop buttons of KDE
(switching from First to Second and so on). I got rid of the crashes
by setting the color depth to 16 bpp. Seems to work so far.

Now you may ask why one of the machine wasn't crashing...

When I found out about the bug, the person working on that machine
realized she choosed a different screen resolution: 800x600 instead
of 1024x768. I guess that 800x600 stresses the machine less enough
not to have it crashing...

I'm going to fill a bug report to XFree, as soon as I'll have played
with some options of the SVGA X server (about blitter usage and so on).

> You should. There's a relatively serious bug in the 19mdk kernel. It
> causes a process that dumps core to hang forever instead of terminating.
> So basically, if all applications are running well, the 19mdk kernel is
> not a problem (that's why the bug wasn't noticed before release). If an
> application goes mad, it's a problem...

All right. I'll do... :-)
But what about VMware? I read that it was crashing with 2.2.9-27...

Many thanks to those who tried to help!

Yann

--
Yann-Erick Proy      --  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Quartz Informatique  --  http://www.quartz.fr/  --  Annecy (F-74000)

La diversité est source de richesse.