I had problem moving from RH6.0 to LM6.0 with PCMCIA.  My problem was frozen
keyboard due to PCMCIA and GPM interfarence.  By moving GPM before PCMCIA in SYS-V
init script, I got by OK.

This may not be the solution for you but playing the SYS-V init order or process
may give you a solution.  Good luck.

FYI My system is Toshiba Notebook (Ultra thin type: Dynabook portege SS3300CT).  I
have documented the process  http://home.pacbell.net/aoki/