Evening all.

After reading some of your messages and running into this irritating problem
myself, I did a bit more poking around this bug.

If you look at /etc/updatedb.conf it has
this section:
# Which Directory to exclude.
EXCLUDE="/proc,/tmp/,/var/tmp,/usr/tmp,/net,/afs"

I added my /c,/d,/e FAT volumes to this list and also updated
/etc/cron.daily/slocate.cron entry to exclude FAT volumes.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but I think this should tell slocate to ignore
the FAT volumes, which I seem to recall are the source of the problem under the
2.2.9 kernel (don't quote me on that one).

any other thoughts?

-cheers

--karma