On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Gavin Grabias wrote:

> Does anyone know of any performance comparisons between Linux and (Free
> BSD/BSDI).  I work at an ISP I run Linux, and around here Linux is a joke
> when they compare it to BSD.  I would like to show them some comparisons
> of the 2, and that Linux is more then capable compared to BSD.

Heh heh.

I'm an ISP; I mirror cooker because I use Linux on workstations.  But the
mirror runs on a BSDI server.  Fancy that.

I won't call Linux a joke, but I don't use it on servers. I continually
test Linux and all the BSD's.  In my tests, which are the only ones that
matter to me, BSDI's network performance and reliability proves superior.

It's hard to keep secrets on the Internet, but BSDI's stealth marketing
has succeeded.  I suppose they stay in business because their quality
engineering keeps many ISP's loyal to it.

While at your present employer, it sounds like your career would be better
served by learning more about BSDI than evangelizing Linux.