You *DON'T* need to recompile the kernel. I use a CD Writer with the
standard Mandrake kernel.

1)Add this to your /etc/lilo.conf:
append="hdb=ide-scsi"

2)Reboot

3)Then, you can simply do a "modprobe ide-scsi", and voila! You can add
the modprobe in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

I remember Axalon had a sexier solution, but I can't quite remember it...

Jean-Michel Dault
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]