"Thomas J. Hamman" wrote:

> On 29-Jul-99 James J. Capone wrote:
> > I know this is not a help question about the Mandrake Linux but..
> >
> > I would like to have you all check out my website and tell me what you think.
> >
> > Please if you do not like emails like this. Do not flame it, Skip over it.
> >
> > http://linuxuser.8m.com  YOU MUST HAVE A JAVA ENABLED BROWSER TO VIEW IT.
> >

> > James J. Capone
>
> It looks okay, except that:
>
> 1) I agree with the other replies concerning the java, and
>
> 2) It seems overly -wide-... would be very inconvenient for someone with a
> 640x480 (or maybe even 800x600) resolution, or anyone with a somewhat higher
> resolution who doesn't want to have to maximize Netscape just for one uncommonly
> wide page.
>
> -Tom

The content is there.  It is well organized.  Dump the Javascript and put in some
PHP3 and CGI for the things you want to do.  Compress the graphics radically and
reduce their size.  You have done a good job of condensing information, so follow
with condensed graphics.  For example, the Apache ad could be smaller without
materially affecting the quality of your page.

The width is incredible.  I have a 1024x768 screen, barely on the edge of
readability with the fonts I use and the proper eye distance of 50 cm, and I have
to scroll sideways to see all of it.  If that is to be your selected width, the
sidebar on the left might conceivably be backgrounded in a different color so that
people have more comfort centering on the text.

You are definitely not in the "Terrible Page" category, but you could easily move
up to the "Great" with some work on the graphics, the width, the load speed, the
last being the most critical, since surfers have short attention spans.

Michael Moore