On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Sheldon Lee Wen wrote:

>        How difficult would it be, and wat problems would it cause to update
> the pgcc to the new gcc2.95 I'm really looking forward to using the new gjc
> front end and improved c++ features but I don't want to break my compiler and
> libs.

You will definately run into some problems. There have been a number of
internal changes (gcc got much stricter in some areas, and the asm()
syntax was changed to disallow clobbering used registers)) that prevent a
number of applications from compiling with gcc 2.95.. (or pgcc 2.95, which
will be released some time next week).

For the moment, I wouldn't recommend using it to anyone who might need to
compile any "old" applications - at least not without keeping an older
version around to fall back to.

> Also, will we see a mandrake rpm for it?

Definately. Either gcc 2.95 of pgcc 2.95; we'll see which one once pgcc
2.95 is out.
But (for the reasons mentioned above) it won't be the default compiler for
a while.

LLaP
bero