I finally got around to working on this. I reinstalled Mandrake due to a major
hardware upgrade (plus I really hadn't touched the original install). I used
Mandrake 60-2 for the install. Downloaded it from a mirror on July 31.

I still had problems with exiting emacs in console mode but at least this time
it didn't lock up the console. So as one person suggested I used MandrakeUpdate
to install the updated packages. The only packages it said needed to be updated
were XConfigurator, initiscripts, netscape-common and netscape-communicator.
So, I had MandrakeUpdate dl and install the new packages.

I tried emacs in console mode again and still got a fatal error when I tried to
quit.

Will rebooting fix this since I got a new initscripts package? Or is there a
newer kernel package that I should try even though MandrakeUpdate didn't find
one.