On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, Civileme wrote:

> Axalon wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, Civileme wrote:
> >

> > > 1.  Buy a good PCI/Video card, not expensive.  A generic S3 Virge/DX with 4Mb
> > > RAM should be adequate, even if you plan to play Quake.
> >
> > Don't skimp here get something with a good linux 3d driver
>
> Always good advice, but from his language, it sounded as if he was looking for a
> minimalistic solution.

Just my opinion, never skimp on video when you have to look at the crap
all day .

> > > 2.  Sound, if you equip your computer with it, is most easily installed, in my
> > > experience, for Creative/Soundslaster Products.  The NEWEST should be avoided
> > > unless you like to spend a few hours on the web finding beta drivers and
> > > instructions.  (No SBLive, get a good AWE 64 for the ISA Bus and it should work
> > > out all right.)  Save sndconfig for one of your later steps.  And if you get
> > > some weird error messages running it from a console or desktop, try booting
> > > into single-user mode and running sndconfig.
> >
> > I've never had problems with any soundblaster cards
> >

> I have seen problems with SB PCI 128 and SBLive, though not often

Haven't played with a sblive yet

> > > 2.1  With hardware in place, Run Install.  I recommend you select "Custom" or
> > > else run Upgrade off the CD right after install and make sure the network
> > > management workstation stuff gets loaded.
> >
> > Why do they want snmpd?
> >

> He mentions at the end of his message that he plans to learn System Administration
>from
> this machine....

I wouldn't want to start learning with snmp, it gets on my nerves and i've
been at this awhile ;)

> > > 3.  Get X running and kfm(by clicking on the "Home" icon on the panel at the
> > > bottom of the screen).  Point kfm to http://www.linux-mandrake.com and look on
> > > the left side of the screen for the "Updates".  Go there, then find a mirror,
> > > still using kfm.  Once you are where the updates are listed, open another
> > > window of kfm with your home directory.  Select all the update files you want
> > > and drag them to your home directory.  Yes, you'll get "Copying files" instead
> > > of "Downloading" messages, but I believe you'll think this is prety cool.
> > > Those files are .rpm.gz so you will have to click on console which will bring a
> > > command line window up at your home directory.  (Don't do that until the copy
> > > is finished.)  DISCONNECT from the Internet (by closing the kfm window or by
> > > stopping Kppp).
> > >
> > > Then enter
> > >
> > > [noise @ /home/noise]$ su
> > > password: *give the root password here*
> > > [root@ /home/noise]# gunzip *.gz
> >
> > Did somebody hack kde and forget to tell me? The files on the mirrors
> > should be .rpm not .gz
>
> check http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/linux/Mandrake/updates/6.0/RPMS/
> You will find *.rpm.gz files

Well sure enough, maybe someone should tell them that those are compressed
already and if they really want to cut the diskspace they shouldn't just
gzip them again but use bzip2 instead. I think it was done so winders
boxes know to use binary transfers, but it's definatly the first time i've
seen that.

> > > Logout
> > > login as root
> > > return to your user's home directory and open the home folder there
> > >
> > > Single-click the first .rpm file.  KPackage will open a window and you can
> > > click "Install" after ticking "replace files".  On printtool, also unclick
> > > "Check Dependencies"
>

> > seeing as your at the console already just type 'rpm -F *.rpm' , if you do
> > use kpackage it should have an Upgrade checkbox use this not Install, and
> > it generaly isn't required to use --nodeps or uncheck "Check Dependancies"
> >

> The printtool update is broken and keeps reporting an unresolved dependency ">=",
>thus the
> advice on uncheck.  Some other packages report conflicts unless you use replace
>files.
> Moreover, the instructions are a mix of -ivh, --force, and -Uvh options.  As for
>using
> Kpackage instead of the simple console instruction....  Well, I am working on
>migrating 20
> windows and MAC users to Linux-Mandrake, so I try to avoid command lines whenever
>possible,
> out of habit.  Yes, the rpm is a lot simpler, but there are those who will say
>"Command
> line?  That's too complicated."

Quite the contrary, you should enlighten them that the commandline is
nothing to be afraid of, atleast that would be my goal

> > > After all of this, you should have a fairly stable system and stable Netscape
> > > to work with.
> > >
> > > 4.  The setup for remote SAMBA printers does not work.  I haven't had time to
> > > verify if it is the "filter" script in /var/spool/lpd/lp (or whatever printer
> > > name you use in place of lp) or the script filter that is copied to
> > > /usr/bin/smbprint.  I have a fix, an *ugly* one, where I add these lines to
> > > .config in the /var/spool/lpd/printername directory
> > >
> > > server=remoteservername
> > > service=remoteprinternameonserver
> > >
> > > In my case that was
> > >
> > > server=TESTRIG
> > > service=HPBIG
> > >
> > > for \\TESTRIG\HPBIG as accessed by the windows machines in the LAN
> > >
> > > ALSO, the /var/spool/lpd/lp/filter file will need editing.  In the "if" toward
> > > the end of the file where it checks for "SMB", change the text
> >
> > The type-o introduced by Redhat, was fixed along time ago if you find
> > another please let us know.
> >

> You bet.  Still not able to get any error log output when it doesn't work, even
>though
> I have a file as target.  And why it does not work on my system while it works well
>on
> others is yet another mystery.  I am going to try an update from a different mirror,
>as the
> unfamiliarity you had with the  *.rpm.gz files suggests I might not be getting what
> linux-mandrake intended.
>

> > > ${FPIDIR}

> > > /usr/bin
> > >
> > > so the new filter added to the filter path will be /usr/bin/smbprint
> > >
> > > 5.  I haven't found any package that will masquerade other LAN machines onto
> > > the internet.  Supposedly it can be done through ipchains scripts, but
> > > I haven't made any work yet.  I did use PaNTs which is supposed to work for
> > > RedHat 6 but I can't get anything through it on port 80 (web access).
> >
> > echo 1> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/forwarding
> > ipchains -I forward -j MASQ -s 192.168.0.0/16 -i eth0 -d 0/0
> > ipchains -I input -j DENY -s 192.168.0.0/16 -i ! eth0 -d 0/0 -l
> >

> Hmmm
>
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forwarding

I like secure, thats why i only activate forwarding for the devices that
need it, oh and the initscripts will do that echo for you if in
/etc/sysconfig/network you have FORWARD_IPV4=yes

> was the line I used today with good results.  My echo target was off before.
> That must be some network, to use all 256 C networks reserved for LANs!  Love to see
>it
> sometime.

Heh, don't i wish i had that many machines. I'd have a beowulf