If the client(s) is (are) to be windows based, then I would use
samba on the linux machine. One other added bonus is that
using the smbmount command on the linux side (if that and smbfs are
installed), you can mount the windows shares onto the linux machine
as well.

A bit off topic - I have switched all my network file sharing to
smb (even for linux <-> linux) as I have had nothing but probelms
with NFS and 2.2.x kernels. Others?

Chris