are you running tcpdump or trafshow or any other of a dozen
network monitoring programs?  If so, your ethernet device is monitoring
all traffic on the network by being put in the promiscuous mode and
receiving all data packets and processing them.

  Arpwatch may also do this, I'm not sure.

  The solution is to not run those programs.

bug