Compaq has a strange configuration utility that is non standard.  You
have to tell the bios that the card is there.  Try getting into setup at
boot time and see if you can either leave space for the card at the right
irq and i/o, or get the bios to recognize the card is there.

 I've played with compaq on and off, and can't remember all the details.

bug