At 04:14 01/09/99 -0600, you wrote:
>On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Mike Hill wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> My first post to this group.  Hopefully this qualifies as an expert
>> question.
>>
>> I'm running a couple Linux-Mandrake 6.0-2 boxes at a company I do work for.
>> One of them is running 8 modems on a dial in pool.  Users are calling in
>> from their Windows machines using Dialup Networking and establishing a PPP
>> connection to use systems on the companies LAN.   I use to have this
running
>> on an old RedHat 5.0 box and it worked great.
>>
>> Problem I'm seeing is that if I use the following in the
>> /etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config file the systems can not connect. And the
>> /var/log/messages states a "PAP login failure" for that user.
>>
>>     /AutoPPP/ -    a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap login kdebug 7
>> debug
>>
>> If I change the entry in login.config to the following it works fine
(taking
>> out the "login" from the file), but this doesn't compare their entry in
>> /etc/ppp/pap-secrets with their login account.
>>
>>     /AutoPPP/ -     a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap kdebug 7 debug
>>
>> I have made sure that the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets contains the following.
>>
>>     username    *    password    *
>>
>> The password in the pap-secrets file matches their password for their
>> account.  But the login command always breaks it.  I tried putting the
>> following in /etc/pap-secrets, but get the same error.
>>
>>     *    *    ""    *

I found that with Mandrake6 or RedHat6 systems you need to
give an IP address in pap-secrets:
username        *       ""      ip_address.

Until I did that I had the same errors you have.
(try upping the debug level in /etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.conf
as well)

This worked for me on a single dialup line but I'm not sure
how a dialup pool would work here as the addresses are on
a per-user allocation rather than per-port.

hih
nick@nexnix