On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, Mike wrote:

:</snip>
:
:Network packages
:
:I believe, and I should verify, all computers are using 'netkit'.  Are
:there others that perform the equivelent for linux os?
:

i would *highly* recommend not using telnet.  passwords are passed in
plain text and are easy to sniff out.  i would recommend getting SSH.  and
btw, if you do get SSH, configure with `./configure --lib-wrap` to use the
tcp wrappers so SSH will use /etc/hosts.allow and hosts.deny.  otherwise
it will use it's own /etc/sshd_config file which just becomes one more
file you have to remember to update.

:</snip>
:
:Processes
:
:I saw from various messages that running ps would show all processes
:being used.  On my platforms I used ps -e.  (I only state this in this
:manner to help others who may come accross this string of messages.  So,
:please bear with a new adminstrator.)
:
:the mandrake box shows when ps -e command is used that tty1&2 are tied
:to login.
:
:whereas caldera box shows tty1&2 are tied getty.  No login command
:associated with process, is this an indication that some process that I
:need to have running isn't?
:

my guess is that on the mandrake box, on tty1&2 you were logged in, while
one the caldera box, you weren't logged in.  was that the case?

:
:Mike McCann
:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
:
:

hope this helps you out.  good luck  8)

cameron

 [ How's my programming?  Call 1-800-DEV-NULL ]