On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Manuel Amador wrote:

> No, it's not.  You wouldn't grant write access to the Apache home directory to
> a person.  That's why the UserDir exists.  Otherwise, CGI scripts could do
> real harm to the Apache home directory, which is not intended for anyone
> except the webmaster/site admin to touch.

Correct i wouldn't give the write access to /home/httpd/html, but i would
personaly rather give them write access to /home/httpd/html/`id -un`

> If you have a problem chmodding the home dirs to 755, either direct your users
> to create a subfolder into their $HOME directory with mask 700 and store
> personal directories there, or modify the UserDir directive.

Then doing this, you wouldn't want someone pokeing about in /root why
would you want them pokeing around in someone elses homedir..

> That's the way to go in all *nixes.  Nothing except under $HOME should be
> user-writeable.

It's all about choice, yes it is a good idea to keep everyone limited to
~/ but not always practical